Yup that's right, Mr. Monkey has gone gang busters over the past year and is now up to grade level for his spelling (or language comprehension in my opinion). He has been seeing an Orton-Gillingham tutor.
When we brought him home from public school last year it was quite the shock to see his spelling or lack there of. I could barely make out what he was writing. The report cards I got from school though said he was a 'B' speller. Unfortunately the way they have things setup he was able to memorize what was needed until the test and then the retention was gone. I too was fooled LOL
So we went in search of a tutor that worked with children with dyslexia. Although Jacob has no formal diagnosis I think he has a form of dyslexia called, dysgraphia. He can read like no ones business but he has a disconnect in writing the words. So this tutoring is built around a multi-sensory approach, touching all senses to retain the information.
He learns language rules, rather than rote spelling and in that can have better success remembering the spelling of things. We have seen a big improvement in his spelling. Is it perfect, ahhh no, but he has a MUCH better foundation and I can see he feels more confident in his spelling :)
We are pretty proud of all that he's done over the year :)
That's AWESOME! It must feel good for him to have been given an opportunity to learn in a way that he 'gets' it.
ReplyDelete