Well its been a number of days since I was a member of the Facebook community and I have to say life has gotten eerily quiet. It's a strange thing to go from having many 'friends' to facing the reality of what you really have and for most of us that's quite a few less.
The tool itself is perfect for folks like me who can jump in and out of conversation without having to sustain it. For a more introverted person it allows you to 'feel' more extroverted. It gives the opportunity to get to know people without having to do all the leg work. Getting together on a regular basis and calling on the phone are becoming a thing of the past. You can connect with so many more people with out so much as getting off your couch. Truly a perfectly convenient tool.
So why would anyone want to give that up?? Good question LOL I decided to do that after I realized that maybe....okay most likely...err, I was spending to much time hanging out. I was completely distracted from daily life with the constant popping on and off all day. So why not just shut it off and forget about it until certain times of the day? I just couldn't seem to make that work either...
Hmmm so now what to do LOL The world of Facebook is continuing on without my contribution and I'm sure doing just fine... Which I think is the most problematic thing about letting it go. This perfectly convenient tool and the people using it really don't care whether you are there or not. This by no means a shot at anyone, just a fact I am becoming acquainted with :)
I can honestly say I was using Facebook to fill a void in my life, to fill the time where nothing was happening. The adjustment is taking some time. I need to get back to dealing with real people. Volunteering is something that brings me great satisfaction and I've gotten away from that. I'm looking forward to contributing again.
Either way this post is really just me getting thoughts out of my head. If you enjoy Facebook and manage it well in your life, kudos to you and enjoy :)
For those of you who may feel like you enjoy it too much I challenge you give it up even if its only for a week! You'd be surprised how deeply the habit to be connected is ingrained in your daily life.
I have been considering letting go of facebook myself, completely. I agree with you that it is feeling a void right now. I haven't made many connections here and sometimes I just feel plain lonely, so facebook feels that void. How could it not when I have over 100 friends on there? Makes me feel not so alone.
ReplyDeleteI have drastically cut down on facebook this summer, not checking it as often and over the last 2 weeks I stopped playing the games on there completely. I thought I would miss them, but not at all! Again, those were just a fill, a kind of escape from reality, even if it was just for 10 to 15 minutes to take care of my farm or bakery LOL!
I want to start doing some volunteer work, with my oldest daughter. I am not sure where yet, but it is something I am going to set up for the fall.
I take on your challenge. Not checking facebook or logging in for 1 week. Starting today (after I leave a message on it!).
Joining you! :) Well... for a week, anyway. I could use the break. I do get bored of facebook at times but it's such a habit to check it constantly.
ReplyDeleteYea! I have fellow sufferers..err..I mean liberators! LOL okay I think I need to re-visit my facebook free days (all three of them LOL) but this time I won't be alone. Thanks for re-inspiring me.
ReplyDeleteYeah!! Good luck everyone :) And thanks for the support.
ReplyDeleteI added 2 links for the moon post :)
ReplyDeleteI was looking for you...but WTG for doing what's important to you. I'll miss seeing you on my wall but I'm sure we'll connect again soon :)
ReplyDeleteFacebook is a bit of an annoyance but, it allows me to keep in touch with my Daughters and some close friends. It also has allowed me to find long lost friends. But I only get on once a day in the evening.
ReplyDeleteHarry